By: Jesse Carr, Bar Director, Balise, New Orleans, Louisianna.
- 1 1/2 ounces Raisin Infused Rhum Barbancourt 8yr (see recipe below)
- 1/2 ounce Giffard Bigallet China China liqueur
- 1/4 ounce Giffard Vanille de Madagascar liqueur
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (one part ginger juice to one part sugar, heated until sugar dissolves.)
- Topped with Fever-Tree ginger beer
- Combine all ingredients, except ginger beer, in a shaker tin with ice, short shake (about 6-8 shakes), and then strain into a mule mug and add ice.
- Top with Fever-Tree ginger beer.
- Garnish and enjoy.
Manicured pineapple skin hung on the rim, with three pineapple leaves inserted.
Raisin Infused Rhum:
1/2 cup of raisins to one 750mL bottle of of Rhum Barbancourt 8 year. Place in an ISI. Shake and charge with cO2 and shake again. Let sit for five minutes and then slowly let all the pressure out and strain off Rhum.
The book The Serpent and the Rainbow inspired the name, while the actual flavors of the cocktail were inspired by the city of New Orleans and the great pineapple cakes that I have had here.