Created by: Zachary Faden, Bartender, Washington D.C.
- 1 1/2 ounces Monkey Shoulder whiskey
- 1/2 ounce Linie aquavit
- 4 ounces ginger-carrot soda (see recipe page 00)
- Garnish with fried ginger carrot tops (see recipe page 00)
- Fill mule mug with one ounce of the soda.
- Add Monkey Shoulder whiskey and Linie aquavit, and then fill with ice.
- Top with soda.
- Add a straw, stir the drink, then top with the fried carrot tops garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Using a juicer, juice 28 ounces fresh carrot juice and four ounces fresh ginger juice. Strain through chinois, cheesecloth or nut-milk bag. Pour into an iSi soda siphon and charge one time with a CO2 cartridge (include a pinch of fleur de sel).
Fried Ginger Carrot Tops:
Microplane fresh ginger root. Mix with an equal amount of sugar and a pinch of fleur de sel. Fry carrot tops. Remove carrot tops from the fryer and place on paper towels. Dust carrot tops with the ginger and sugar mixture.
The mule is a fantastic and refreshing introduction to the savory side of cocktails. I continue this tradition and make a drink marrying the beautiful flavor combination of ginger and carrot. Also, while prep-heavy, the finished Take Root stays true to the simplicity of the mule. The key ingredient of the classic mule is ginger. This cocktail embraces and emphasizes the fragrant zestiness of fresh ginger root. Ginger’s earthiness is complemented by Monkey Shoulder whiskey’s mild smoke and spice, Linie aquavit’s caraway and herbal notes, and is rounded out by carrot’s brightness and natural sweetness. The result is a reinvigorating sipper.