Crafted by: Carlos Ruiz, Head Bartender, Crystal Springs Resort, Hamburg, New Jersey.
- 1 ounce Aylesbury Duck vodka
- 1 ounce Amaro Averna
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Domaine De Canton
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (2:1 ratio)
- 2 dashes Bittermens Hellfire Bitters
- 2 ounces club soda
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker add all ingredients, except the club soda.
- Shake with ice and double strain into a copper mug filled with a 2-inch x 2-inch ice cube, and top off with the club soda.
- Garnish with a nice bouquet of fresh mint.
My inspiration was the original Moscow Mule — it is such a refreshing cocktail that has some nice heat to it. I used Averna because of the nice spice qualities, and the texture that it has, I thought it would bring another layer of flavor and mouthfeel to my cocktail. I also love to make low alcohol content cocktails — I feel like people enjoyed them better because they can try more in one sitting.