Created by: Buddy Newby, Bartender, Tank House BBQ and Bar, Sacramento, CA.
- 1 ounce Pusser’s Rum
- 1 ounce Pusser’s Rum Gunpowder Proof
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3 slices of ginger
- 1/4 ounce honey syrup
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit syrup
- 5 drops Bittercube Blackstrap bitters
- Fever-Tree club soda
- Muddle ginger with honey and grapefruit syrups.
- Add rum and lime juice.
- Then, ice shake and double strain into a copper mug filled with crushed ice.
- Add Blackstrap bitters and top with club soda.
- Garnish with a lime twist and a thinly sliced stick of fresh ginger.
The idea for this drink came from a take on naval grog. I used two types of British navy rum, and substituted the grapefruit juice for grapefruit syrup, to give it a sweeter taste. That sweetness also helps to balance out the higher proof rum. The name comes from an aircraft carrier that the British navy will be christening this year. It also occurred to me that a mule carries cargo — so the aircraft carrier was a fun play on that.