- 1 1/2 ounces Montelobos mezcal
- 1/2 ounce Ancho Reyes chile liqueur
- 1 ounce housemade ginger syrup
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- Splash of soda water
- Add crushed ice to copper mug.
- Add a splash of soda.
- Then add the ginger syrup, lime juice and liquors.
- Garnish with candied ginger and lime twist.
- Hang candied ginger on rim.
- Drape twist across top of drink with one end on the ginger.
“Cold war kid to southern bartender.” I was born in Tallinn, Estonia. I now live in Durham, North Carolina. Like many people from cold places, I gravitate toward warm places. While living in Los Angeles, I came to love Mexican cuisine – and, of course – agave spirits. Thus, I took this LA-born drink a bit further south. The spice from the ginger and the smoke from the mezcal pair perfectly with the smoky spice from the Ancho Reyes. Watch out — this Mule can kick!