Created by: Richard Woods, Head of Cocktail & Spirit Development, Orange Brands Management, London, England.
- 1 1/2 ounces Grey Goose vodka
- 1 ounce coconut miso sugar syrup
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Coco López cream of coconut
- Old Jamaica ginger beer
- Dehydrated lime wheel and candied ginger, for garnish
- Shake all ingredients, except the ginger beer, with good quality cubed ice.
- Add ginger beer to the shaker and ‘roll’ to mix.
- Strain over fresh cubed ice into a copper mule mug.
- Garnish with a dehydrated lime wheel and a piece of candied ginger on a skewer.
I created this riff on a mule for one of our restaurant brands SUSHISAMBA —which features a unique blend of Japanese, Brazilian and Peruvian cuisine. Ultimately a drink should taste delicious, but I find that when using adventurous ingredients, classics are a good base for a cocktail, as it gives people something familiar to relate to. The twist in this drink is the miso, an integral part of the cuisine at SUSHISAMBA. Here it adds a lovely texture, as well as a sweet-savoury element.
Sub recipe: Miso Mule
Coconut Miso Sugar Syrup:
To a non-reactive container, add 17 ounces of stock sugar syrup, one bar teaspoon of food grade coconut essence and four ounces of miso paste. Stir thoroughly to mix, then seal with an airtight lid. Leave for one hour, mixing two to three times throughout the process. Filter through muslin to remove solids. Bottle and reserve.