Created by: Rori Robinson, Lead Bartender, The Spence, Atlanta, GA.
- 1 1/2 ounces Absolut vodka
- 1 ounce house pineapple ginger syrup (see recipe, page 00)
- 1/2 ounce Dolin Blanc Vermouth
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- Club soda, to top
- In a shaker tin, combine all ingredients, except the club soda, and shake vigorously with ice.
- Strain over fresh ice into a copper mug, then top with club soda to fill.
- Garnish with a slice of fresh or candied ginger.
House Pineapple Ginger Syrup:
- 8 ounces pineapple juice (bottled)
- 16 ounces orange juice (fresh or bottled)
- 8 ounces lime juice (fresh)
- 16 ounces sugar
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil (about 20 leaves with stems)
- 8 ounces fresh ginger root, sliced lengthwise
- 1.5 tablespoons high-quality vanilla paste or extract (Massey’s is preferred)
- Simmer all ingredients over medium heat for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving sliced ginger for garnishes. Allow to cool before bottling.
I wanted to create a mule that isn’t overpowered by the flavor of ginger beer, which for me, can take over a drink’s flavor profile completely. By using ginger in the syrup, the need for ginger beer is eliminated altogether, and the other natural citrus and herbal flavors are equally prominent in the drink.