Created by: Jim Meehan, Bartender, Journalist and Proprietor of Mixography Inc., Portland, OR
- 1 1/2 ounces Sombra mezcal
- 1 ounce house ginger beer
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Boiron passion fruit purée
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup
- 4 cucumber slices (reserve one for garnish)
- Candied ginger and a pinch ground chili, for garnish
- Muddle the agave syrup and cucumber, then add remaining ingredients.
- Shake with ice, then fine strain into a chilled copper mug, mule cup) filled with ice.
- Garnish with a piece of candied ginger picked to a slice of cucumber, then add a pinch of ground chili on top.
I developed this cocktail for Richard Betts in the winter of 2009, as a signature cocktail for his new mezcal brand Sombra, and have served it at PDT ever since. The idea was to accentuate the earthy, vegetal qualities of the mezcal with the ginger root and cucumber, and brighten the mixture with tropical passionfruit. Spice and heat are common in Mexican cuisine, so I garnish the drink with a pinch of chili.