Created by: Joy Richard, XXXXXXX, Bar Mash, Charleston, SC.
- 2 ounces Karlsson’s vodka
- 3/4 ounce ginger-coconut shrub (see recipe page 00)
- 1/2 ounce Kahlua
- 2 ounces Barritt’s ginger beer
- Coffee bean, pineapple leaves and lime swath, for garnish
- Combine vodka, Kahlua, and the shrub in a mixing tin.
- Add ice and shake.
- Strain into a copper mug.
- Add the ginger beer, then fill with crushed ice.
- To garnish, grate a coffee bean over the top of the crushed ice, place a lime swath twisted into a corkscrew on top, and insert three pineapple leaves vertically, in a fan formation.
- 1 cup candied crystalized ginger
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Combine all ingredients, except vinegar, in a saucepan and stir over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add vinegar and simmer 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool completely before straining.
This drink has an island influence, inspired by my move from Boston to Charleston, South Carolina. I get to enjoy lovely tropical weather for much of the year, and who doesn’t want a tropical cocktail to enjoy while sitting back and relaxing on the beach in the sun or under the shade of a palm tree swaying in the breeze. I love how coffee and coconut play together as flavors, and ginger seemed a natural addition to this combination — I aspired to use its sharp spiciness to balance the sweetness and and richness of this cocktail.