Created by: Emil Hed, Bartender, Svartengrens, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1 1/4 ounces Gosling’s Black Seal Bermuda black rum
- 2/3 ounce Pineau des Charantes
- 2 teaspoons Ancho Reyes chili liquor
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2/3 ounce IPA syrup (see recipe below / page 00)
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Fever Tree ginger beer, to top
- Sprig of fresh mint and half a grilled lime, for garnish
- Add all ingredients, except the ginger beer, to a copper mule mug over ice.
- Top off with a splash of ginger beer, then garnish with a fresh mint sprig and half a grilled lime (grilled cut side down until golden brown).
Combine 500 grams (approximately two cups or 16 ounces) of IPA beer – the more hops, the better – with 500 grams of sugar in a saucepan. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid thickens to a syrup-like consistency. Cool before use.
My inspiration behind the Grandpa Sam cocktail was winter in Sweden — I wanted to create a drink with deeper, warmer flavors to reflect the colder, darker part of the year in Sweden, but to make a drink that was still refreshing.