Created by: Gary Wayne Burleson Jr., Bartender, Dogwood Cocktail Cabin, Bend, OR.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 lime slices
- 5 mint leaves and 1 sprig
- 2 nickel sized slices of peeled ginger
- 5 ounces Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1 thick orange slice
- Gosling’s ginger beer, to top
- Soda water, to top
- First muddle the limes, mint, and ginger with ice.
- Then add a little more ice, the vodka, salt, and the Coco Lopez.
- Shake it, but don’t fake it.
- Dump it, dirty Southern style (without straining) into the copper mug.
- Top with half Gosling’s ginger beer and half soda water.
- Garnish with a fat orange slice and a lively sprig of mint.
- Enjoy with this quote in mind: “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” –Ferris Bueller
July is arguably the busiest month for the service industry. Everywhere is super busy, tourists are climbing in the windows with fanny packs stuffed full of vacation cash, and new summer hires are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. This is not a good time to take time off — but it is the BEST time to take time off! Inspired, of course, by the movie and titular character Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, the Ferris Mule-er is all about slipping off to play hooky and letting the world grind on without you for a few days. It has been designed for unapologetic day drinking, and is best served aboard a parade float.