- 2 ounces Ketel One vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces Fever-Tree seltzer water
- 1 ounce turmeric/galangal sweetener (see recipe page 00)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Fired Cinnamon Tincture spritz (see recipe page 00)
- Lime wheel, for garnish
- Build all ingredients over ice in a copper mug, except the cinnamon tincture.
- Finish by spritzing the cinnamon tincture onto a lit match over the cocktail, to really bring out the cinnamon essence.
- Just don’t burn your fingers!
- Then garnish with a lime wheel, and enjoy.
My inspiration in developing this cocktail was the classic Moscow Mule. I wanted to elevate this classic drink, while still keeping its basic flavors intact. With that in mind, I used galangal (Indian ginger) and turmeric, a species of ginger, to really bring in that spicy, fresh ginger flavor. I then balanced the cocktail with fresh lime juice for acidity, Angostura for bitters and a high quality seltzer water for effervescence.
Shred fresh equal parts galangal and turmeric (around half a cup). If you can’t find galangal, subsitute fresh ginger. Place the shredded ginger in glass or plastic jar with a lid. Add a quart of sugar, mix well and store in the fridge for two days. Take out of fridge and add one quart of hot water. Stir the mixture until all sof the ugar granules have melted. Pass the sweetener through a fine strainer, chill, and enjoy adding it to your cocktails.
Put a dozen whole cinnamon sticks into a quart sized glass or plastic jar, and fill with high proof neutral spirit. Sit in a cupboard for at least a week. Pour into an atomizer, and prepare to impress your guests with cocktail theater.