Crafted by: Josh Powell, Head Bartender, 68 and Boston, London.
- 2 ounces Bulleit bourbon
- 1 ounce orange and ginger syrup (combine 10 ounces simple syrup and 3 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice, and 2 1/2 ounces Perfect Purée of Napa Valley ginger)
- 1 dash absinthe
- Fever-Tree soda water
- Build the first three ingredients in a copper mug over ice and churn to mix.
- Top up with soda water to a three quarter level.
- Add more ice and fill the rest of the way, leaving about a finger’s wash line.
- To garnish, add a straw, a large sprig of fresh mint, and an orange twist for aroma.
This drink is almost an amalgamation of a mule and a buck. Those two words reminded me of horses that used to carry goods and equipment in olden times. It then reminded me of my favorite childhood game, Buckaroo, which is where the name came from. In the game, each player adds an item to the toy horse, trying to avoid it bucking them all off.